Must-Read for Executives in the Global Marketplace
The Eurasia Group’s Top Risks 2020 Report
The Eurasia Group’s Top Risks 2020 report takes a global perspective delivered in an accessible format and style.
“We’ve lived with growing levels of geopolitical risk for nearly a decade, but without a true international crisis. Outside of geopolitics, global trends have been strongly favorable. That’s now changing.”
Topics include: 1 Rigged!: Who governs the US? 2 The Great Decoupling 3 US/China 4 MNCs not to the rescue 5 India gets Modi-fied 6 Geopolitical Europe 7 Politics vs. economics of climate change 8 Shia crescendo 9 Discontent in Latin America and 10 Turkey.
The Edelman Trust Barometer 2020 Report
“The 2020 Edelman Trust Barometer reveals that despite a strong global economy and near full employment, none of the four societal institutions that the study measures—government, business, NGOs and media—is trusted. The cause of this paradox can be found in people’s fears about the future and their role in it, which are a wake-up call for our institutions to embrace a new way of effectively building trust: balancing competence with ethical behavior.”
Foreign Policy Interrupted Newsletter
While this should probably go under Women Leaders and Gender Parity Resources below, FPI’s weekly newsletter highlights what’s going on around the world and in my favorite format: quick-read descriptions so you can pick and choose where to do a deeper dive. FPI is on a mission to help women foreign policy experts get by-lined.
Women Leaders and Gender Parity
Beth Hand’s Letter to U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations: Women’s Entrepreneurship and Economic Empowerment Act of 2018
I advocated for passage of this bill to “improve programs and activities relating to women’s entrepreneurship and economic empowerment that are carried out by the U.S. Agency for International Development” in developing countries. The bill is the Women’s Entrepreneurship and Economic Empowerment (WEE) Act of 2018 (H.R. 5480).
Why? Because we are humanitarians, for increased peace and security, and because if you, like me, are a female and lead a business, it’s important to advocate for other women just as others advocated for us and made our lives and businesses possible. Read my letter of thanks and encouragement to the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations to pass this bill. As of January 10, 2019, it passed. Thank you to the White House, the Senator Committee on Foreign Relations, and my Virginia senator, Senator Tim Kaine, for passing this important bill.
Women Leaders and Gender Parity Resources
- Event Organizers’ Checklist for Greater Gender Parity: Clear, practical checklist from Women in Global Health to ensure greater parity for events.
- Article “It’s An Unequal World for Women in Business: How You Can Gain a Strategic Advantage” – Beth Hand, LinkedIn Pulse
- Article “How Gender Bias Hides Men Too” – Beth Hand, Huffington Post
- Article “3 Reasons Smart Women Get Workplace Backlash” – Beth Hand, Huffington Post
- Article “How Smart Business Women Get and Stay Inspired” – Beth Hand, Huffington Post
- Article “The Confidence Gap” This is the well-written The Atlantic article by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman on the differences between men and women’s confidence levels.
- Article “Why Women Still Can’t Have It All” Anne-Marie Slaughter, former Director of Policy Planning under U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, wrote this powerful The Atlantic article challenging the notion women can have it all within the current systems. She addresses half-truths that it’s possible to have it all if you are “just committed enough, marry the right person or sequence it right.” Slaughter acknowledges current reality while noting needed changes for women and for men to have more integrated, successful lives.
- Article “How These Female High-Tech Company Employees Fought for Gender Equality” In this Forbes article, MeiMei Fox does a fantastic job showing how women can start where they are, wherever they are in their company to influence and shape a more inclusive, gender-friendly culture.
We Help Mission-Driven Leaders Achieve Strategic Results
To explore how we can help you achieve strategic results, please call +1 703.820.8018 Eastern Time, USA or contact us via the web by clicking here. For a world map, clock and time zone converter, click here.